1. Log files
– NetBackup Media Manager Logs
Obs.: Media manager Logs need be created.
Be aware with log
level, they can increase an fill the directory (File system) and the NetBackup
will stop to work.
You need ensure that name resolution is working correctly,
verify DNS and DNS reverse.
you can use for day by day trouble shooting
– Command to list
– All process
Command used to confirm the successful lookup of the client
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -ip client_ip
Commands used to expire or to calculate a new retention for a
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpexpdate -m ACB001 -d 0
expiration of copy 2, does not afect copy
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpexpdate -backupid eel_0904219764 -d 12/20/2010
– If bpxpdate don’t work to expire the media execute the
command before use bpexpdate
media_ID pool_number stat
– To check pool_number and
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -m media_ID
– Command to list
configured Storage Units
– Command to list configured
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bppllist policy_name -L
Command used to perform operator functions on
– Command used to display media
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpmedialist -rl 1
– Script to
make a media
Command to unfreeze medias
-unfreeze -m ACB001
– Text interactive menu to administrate NetBackup
when you can’t access the
Command to report media contents of a robotic
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmcheckxxx -rt tld -rn 1 -list
to inventory a robotic library
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rt tld -rn 1
-full [-interactive] -use_barcode_rules
– Command to manager EMM server –
bee careful using this
This command can be
used to list servers, medias, include new servers see nbemmcmd (1M)
delete a media manger
nbemmcmd -deletehost -machinename media_server
– To delete a tape
nbemmcmd -deletemedia -mediaid
ABC001 -originhost server
– To tell you if which boxes are have a
emmserver and if they are reachable
– Will let
you know if there are any media conflicts
– Will let you know what hosts are seen as media_managers and
4. Sybase trouble
– Binary Files
– To create a
blank DBDB database for the recovery
Database Administration tool (since NetBackup 6.5.2)
Be careful to
use this tool, some operations can stop and destroy
5. NetBackup Consistency Check (NBCC)
The NBCC command executes the NBCC utility that is used
to confirm the integrity of portions of the NetBackup catalog related to tape
media. This check includes the review of configured storage units, 5.x volume
database hosts, 6.xEMMservers, tape media, and images associated with tape
If NBCC detects
catalog inconsistencies, it generates a set of output files. It can create a
support package bundle of these files by using available system
More information about the NBCC utility is available in the Using
NetBackup Utilities section of the NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide.
1. There is a Tape library with 10 drives …Can we able to create 2 Storage units…..?
2. There are 1000 Client machines , 999 machines are transfering datas in good speed but one client machine is taking too long to transfer a datas ….. that is …backup should complete within 2 hours ..but after 12 hours and more …the data transfer is still happening…. why?
3. Tell me about the error 84 and how u will troubleshoot?
4. How do you configure a client for automatic backups?
5. What’s the difference between diff incr and cumulative incr? What happens when I mix them on Windows client… Unix client?
6. How is a changed file determined on Windows and what happens afterwards for each type of backup? How is a changed file determined on Unix?
7. When would I, or would I not, use cross mount points?
8. What is the difference between a Volume Group and a Volume Pool?
9. How do you back up the catalog? Why is this important? What do you have todo if you don’t have a catalog backup?
10. How do you recover the catalog?
11. How do you configure retention levels for a backup?
12. If I install the Admin client on an NT workstation, what else has to be done for it to work… be an authorized server?
13. What is multiplexing? What is multiple data streams? Are they the same?
14. Can I have one without the other… both… ? where are they configured?
15. What determines the number of jobs a client can run? What determines the number of jobs that will go to a single drive?
16. What is OTM? TIR?
17. What format does NetBackup write the tape in?
18. How does NetBackup tie together with Media Manager?
19. How do I create a Storage Unit that will only be used by one client?
20. What is the difference between the expiration date for a volume in NetBackup’s media catalog and Media Manager’s volume database?
21. What is the process in which NetBackup decides if a tape is available and which one it will use? Will media servers share tapes? Will retention levels be mixed on a tape? What happens if the requested pool is out of tapes?
22. What is the difference between a frozen volume and a suspended volume?
23. How many Robot Control Hosts can a DLT tape library have?
24. What does the bpbkar process do? bpsched? bpbrm? bpdbm? ltid? What process controls a DLT tape library… a DLT tape drive? What is the AVRD process?
25. Why is the catalog the most important component of Netbackup?
26. What does status 59 mean in the activity monitor?
27. If you have an exchange database backup with a status 1 in the activity monitor what would you do?
28. On a windows box if you encountered a status 11, what is the problem?
29. Why is a binary catalog more efficient than an ASCII catalog?
30. What is BPRD?
31. If you have a SCSI attached robot and in device monitor you see the drives marked as AVR, what does that mean and how would you fix it?
32. If I asked you to tell me if a client has Netbackup on it just by using a telnet command what would you do?
33. If you wanted to know what IP address netbackup was using to perform backups what command would you run and where would you run it?
34. If an exchange server has four storage groups, how would you set it up so that all four databases get sent to a different tape drive at the same time?
35. If you have an Exchange database on box ab1 and you want to set NBU to backup both the database and “C:\, F:\, System_state” how would you set up the policy and or polcies to do this while using the same volume pool?
36. If a media ID A04567 comes back and it is frozen, what are the steps to unfreeze it and move it back to scratch from the command line?
37. If you wanted to bypass netbackup commands and move a tape from slot 1 to drive 3 how would you do that?
38. What does this command do? Vmcheckxxx -rt tld -rn 0 brnyc-eb01 -vmhost brnyc-eb01 -list?
39. If your last catalog backup was two days ago and the master server crashed what would you have to do to bring your environment back up to present time?
40. How do you find a disk based image via the command line and then delete it?
41. How do you import an NBU image that has been written to a disk storage unit?
42. What are the critical catalogs or databases on a Media Server?
43. How would you tune NetBackup to increase backup performance?