Here is a list of commonly asked VMware interview questions
1. Tell me about your current virtualization environment and what is your day to day activity as a VMware administrator.
2. What is the backup solution you are using in your environment and how does it backs up your environment.
3. Do you have any idea P2V, how to perform P2V. please Explain.
4. How do you patch the ESXi host and VMs, explain the Update Manager.
5. Tell me the process to find out the RCA for PSOD of an ESXi host.
6. How to enable the Memory ballooning for a VM.
7. I got a request from Application team that they need a server basically running with SQL DB, which will require 3 network VLAN, eg – Backup, end user and replication. What you will ask your network team to configure their physical switch and what configuration you will made on VC ( networking level). Please explain.
8. How to connect a USB drive to a virtual machine.
9. What is the command to get all snapshot details lying on a datastore.
10. What is RAID 6.
11. Tell me the maximum number of snapshot in a VM.
12. Suppose you have one cluster of 2 ESXi host, where on one host, particular one VM is consuming the high CPU and Memory usage, and creating the performance crunch on another VMs on that host, how you’ll fix the issue.
13. What are the storage technologies? Please explain.
14. What are the difference between iSCSI, FC, FCOE and NFS. Please explain.
15. What is zoning and masking.
16. What is required for zoning and masking.
17. What are the networking Bandwidth options available in VMware? i.e. – on vSwicth level.
18. What is the port number for iSCSI.
19. In case my VC goes down, does HA and DRS will work? Please explain.
20. What is the command to force power off a VM. 21. What is FT and What are the minimum requirement for FT. 22. What technology behind the HA? 23. How to repair the disk descriptor header file.
24. How to configure syslog server
25. ESXi disconnection issue, what is the command to fix the disconnected host.
26. Linked mode VC.
27. Difference between esxi 4 & esx5
28. what happen if vmotion stops in between 10% and how to fix it?
29. Difference between vmotion and storage Vmotion.
30. what happen if a host is being removed from a cluster and what about those VMs running on that host?
31. P2V and V2V, what is the requirement of this, why we use V2V and how to do V2V.
32. What is a Clone and linked clone, what is the use for linked clone.
33. How to restart the Vcenter service using the command prompt.
34. How to check the vm lock issue and how to fix it.
P2v Entire Steps
ESX Building procedure
Server Down issues
Service Down issues
Performance issues procedure
How to upgrade VM
How to upgrade VM with out using update manger
Snapshot…sizes ….SNAP SHOT MGR
Deploy the vm..from ISO & Template
HA & drs
VM Notresponding unable to reboot
Hostd is not running how to fix
what is system attendent
cluster ….how to configure
vmware with MSCS
VC AGENT,HOW IT WILL WORK
HOST ERROR LOGS
HOST INSTALLATION ERRORS
CONNECTIONS BETWEEN ESX & VC
STORAGE CONCEPTS &DIFFERENCES ,ALL INFO..NAS,SAN
CHANGE MGMT,SERVICE REQUEST
CLUSTERING,HOW YOU ADD HOSTS
P2V TOOLS,AND 3-PARTY TOOLS
HOW TO DO THE CPU UTILIZATIONS AND DISK UTILIZATIONS
PORTNO’S,LICENCE SERVER 27000,27010;VC HEARTBEAT 902
VM’S STORAGE LOCATION
- How Many Max Host Failures in a cluster?
- How do know where vm migrating if Cluster fail?
- How many iScsi targets in a cluster?
- How VMotion works? backend process
- P2V Migration
- FSMO Roles, IF PDC EMULAT Fails?
- Port Groups
- If mac address change is in Reject wt happen?
- Linux Console Version
- How can you configure diffrent types of datastores on ESX 2.5
- How can u deploy vms From template?
- Snap shot
- What is the most difficult VMWare related issue you ever faced?
- What is virtualization ?
- What is Esx Host and Esxi Host ?
- What is Vcenter Server ?
- What is Vsphere Client ?
- What is Vsphere WEB Client?
- What is Hypervisor ?
- What is type 1 and type 2 Hypervisor ?
- What is VMkernel ?
- what are the features of vsphere ?
- Vsphere product editions?
- Why Choose Vmware Vsphere?
- Tell me about yourself?
- How many years’ experience in VMware?
- How many servers you have handling and which versions you’re using in you organization?
- What is difference between in ESX and ESXI?
- How many network cards in your host. How to configure this network card s?
- What is port group?
- Which network load balance in your using in organization?
- What is DRS? What is pre-requisition?
- We have the two host each host have the capacity of running 100 virtual machine but one host having the 8 virtual machines and another host having the 2 virtual machines it’s load balancing or load un balancing?
- What is the option in DRS Cluster configuration? Explain the difference
- We need to send the traffic form all network card which load balance you’re using?
- If one of host is not responding how to check it?Birlasoft———–