The European Institute of Computer Anti-Virus Research, EICAR, center developed a standard to help users test anti-virus software. This standard has been incorporated into most anti-virus software as the EICAR.com virus.
To create the EICAR Standard Anti-Virus Test File, do the following:
- Highlight and copy the following line of code:
- Open any ASCII text editor (Notepad or DOS editor) and paste the copied code into the editor.
- Save the file as EICAR.COM.
- Save the file and scan it on the test machine or e-mail the file to the test machine.
- Delete the file when done testing.